more Quotes

Friday, February 10, 2012

Knitting for Valentine's Day

Since Valentine's Day is rapidly approaching, I guess I should start writing a few things about love and the mushy stuff that people really like to hear about (even if they say they don't). Reading or hearing a good love story is like reading a good book, or being told great news. Even if you could care less about love and mush, I would bet that you at least have some sort of smile in your heart when you hear a sappy story about love. It's human nature. I'm not asking you to admit it; I'm just calling attention to it.

heeehee.. you're welcome.

So, anyway; I've been keeping daily tabs on a website that I've found and I was reading something today that I wanted to share with you guys. It's a really neat story and a very encouraging lesson. So, without wasting any more time, here ya go:

Our brother-in-law, Bob, had a mother who would knit him thick wool sweaters. Bob remembers one time when she was knitting and noticed a dropped stitch about 20 stitches earlier. She seemed really upset about that one dropped stitch and undid several minutes of work to go back and pick up that one stitch.

“I asked her why the fuss about one stitch, and told her to just forget it, no one would notice it anyway,” Bob recalls. “Mom said: ‘Because that one dropped stitch is where your sweater will start to unravel.’”

Bob and his wife, Mary Beth, have been married 33 years and they are the best of friends today. That’s because Bob learned a lot about watching his mother knit sweaters.

“We are to be knit so tightly together – as a couple – that we don’t unravel…not one dropped stitch.”

We can unintentionally drop a stitch by doing something careless – not remembering a birthday or anniversary, failing to be there for the other when we are needed, saying a careless word, or making an unkind gesture. The list goes on. There are a million different ways to drop a stitch in your relationship with your spouse and to cause the unraveling to begin.

But, there are also a million simple acts of love to pick up the dropped stitches in your relationship so you two can be tightly knitted together once again.

We surveyed several couples and asked them what simple acts of love they practice in their relationship:

When my husband comes home for lunch I try to have everything ready for him so he doesn’t have to bother.

He likes to have my hair a little longer. I prefer it short, but I’ll wear it longer for him.

Just sitting on the couch and being together instead of one of us being on the computer.

I’ll do the dishes for her or vacuum the house, so she won’t feel she needs to.

And what are some simple acts of love couples love to receive?

When he does something and makes it feel like an ‘us’ thing – that makes me feel loved.

When my spouse drops things to do stuff around the house for us, that speaks love to me.

When my wife makes me something special for dinner that she knows I like.

******************************

So, for the heck of it, why don't you think of something right now to do for your significant other. I mean right now! .. well, after you finish reading this blog :)

How about you shut the computer down. Put your phone away. Let the iPad rest for a little while. Those things will always be around. As a matter of fact, they will all remain here even when WE don't! So, go find your man... go find your woman... And just give them a hug. Kiss them on the cheek, the nose, the forehead... just where ever. My mom does this thing with my baby.. she tells her to give "Papaw" sugar all over his face until he laughs.

Try it.

I bet you will both smile before it's over with!

2 comments:

  1. NO. Not putting down my iphone. I am going to get all the fruit in Angry Birds Rio and I will have three stars on each and every level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good relationships are built on selflessness and compromise, even in small things.

    Another great post.

    ReplyDelete