more Quotes

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things aren't always what they seem

Man, I know it's been a while since I've written a blog. I've missed it! I have had so much going on in the past few weeks, I've been like a little crazy person. I know, I know...that's typically my norm, but lately things have been extra crazy. I've wanted to sit and write before now, but I just haven't taken the time to do it.

This morning, I was reading, and I came across a very interesting little piece that I want to share with you guys.

A Different Kind of Prayer
"Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and was rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry, and spend a few precious moments with her children. Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester. Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking fellow, begging for money in the same spot every day is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares. Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together."

Now, whether you believe in God or not, you've got to take some time to really read that and think about what it says.  It's a very inspirational little thought. It asks us to look at things a little differently. It asks us to realize that things may not always be as they seem... and even if we neglect to admit that; at least we can keep in our minds that there may be another story to the situation we are currently dealing with. What are we in such a hurry for, anyway? We're all headed the same place in the grand scheme of things. 

I've learned that people are selfish. Even more so that what we would like to realize, sometimes. It's human nature, I guess. Now, don't get me wrong... there are some precious people in the world (and abundant in my life, thankfully), who are so patient, and understanding. But, we all have those selfish moments. ...some just more than others. 

I've learned that change is a very difficult thing to accept. So, I'm not asking for people to change anymore. I'm simply going to rotate my approach. And... maybe rotate myself in the process. There are so many things that I would love to do differently in my every day life. The way I treat people, the way I respond to situations, the way I accept what life hands me... 

How do you begin to adjust yourself differently? I do believe that it comes from somewhere that not just you or I can see. But, we have to put it into motion. We have to make it happen. ...and we have to want it to be that way. When it all boils down to it... 

it's us. 

8 comments:

  1. I agree! It's funny how we all are so quick to judge & go wagging our tongues about people without knowing the whole story or the situations that lead up to certain circumstances. We don't know how we would handle things if we were in the same situation and had lived in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has a story, and everyone has things that they deal with. But, as I pointed out earlier; people (in general) are very selfish. This makes situations a bit more difficult for everyone. ..because everyone is ultimately looking out for #1.
      And as natural as that is, it makes for a lot of extra stress in an already volatile situation.

      A preacher once said something to the effect of this: People are going to constantly look for things to talk about. If you mess up, that's all it takes. It lessens their guilt for mistakes they've made. So, they concentrate on your mistakes and faults. Make yourself accountable to God, repent (sincerely), and let them wallow in whatever it is they want to wallow in. Turn your faults over, and let it be their demon, instead of yours.

      There's a lot to be said for tongue wagging and judgments. ..but, we aren't perfect. Not a single one of us.

      Delete
  2. I do try you know. My big one is that I let the outside pressure put on me be the reason I become impatient towards and judgmental of others.

    Thanks Auntie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do the very same thing, Fireman. I believe that it's only human nature to be sensitive to outside pressures.
      In a perfect world, I would have a switch in my brain that would turn that on and off... but sadly, it's up to me to handle it the best way I can. It's a constant challenge.
      All I can do is try to take one thing at a time, and deal with the other things as they come. I'm just glad that I have people around me that understand; and that I am repeatedly forgiven for those moments.

      Delete
  3. I love this post. It's so easy to forget that we are all struggling with something and we're all human. Most people don't do things to hurt or annoy us on purpose. Thanks for the reminder.

    As for changing others, that's not even possible. I've tried; it doesn't work. You're right--all we can do is change how we deal with them.

    Great post, AB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a friendly little reminder from someone who always tries to be objective. I have always tried to see things from others points of view, tried to use compassion and understanding in every conflict. Some times things are exactly what they seem. At those times you have to be selfish and protect yourself. Ultimately, selfishness is a survival trait, animal at best. We have adapted and evolved it into something it never should have been. I alwyas give people a second chance, but after that they are on their own. At times I seem jaded... and cynical .... but you always have to protect yourself and your loved ones, first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point there, Jam. And, you're right. We all do have to look out for ourselves primarily. I guess being a mother has kind of changed the way I see things on that level. Yes, I still think of myself, but not without a constant buzz from my child being the first object. In that light, I can only hope that at some point in my life, if things are not going the right way for me, or I'm having an off day... or when my child gets older and she is dealing with something personally... I would hope that somewhere out there, someone would be willing to be a bit more patient with me or with her instead of assuming that they know the reason we are the way we are. Or... not giving us the benefit of the doubt, maybe stepping down for a moment to ask how we are...or to slip in a word of encouragement. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference.

      Delete