more Quotes

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blog Challenge: Day 23

Day 23: What makes you different from everyone else?

Other than my DNA and fingerprints? hmm.. Let's see.

I believe that everyone is capable of having the same qualities that define everyone else. What's the difference between Charles Manson and Billy Graham? Maybe conscience. Maybe a deeply ingrained practice of morals and respect for others. Respect for ones self.

Personally, I see no reason why one person cannot act with the same conviction as the next; but that's not the way it works. Some people require more attention, some enjoy the sickening feel of drama and confrontation. Some feel that the world owes them something. Some even feel that they are born with an innate sense of being better than everyone else. Then, there are those who have a deep compassion for man kind...for animals...for plants. Heck! Some people even have compassion for inanimate objects or non-living things. Don't think so? Let someone back into your brand new Lexus and see if you don't exhibit some pretty detailed emotion!

I could spend all day on this. But, I do have other things on my agenda.. so let's get to the point.

What makes Auntie different from everyone else?

I don't know if it makes me different, but I will give you the low-down on some of Auntie's more pronounced qualities.. and you decide for yourself.

One of my more pronounced qualities is that I'm brutally honest. A lot of times this is a dangerous and self secluding quality. People don't like to hear the truth; therefore I find myself in situations of being on the outside. And let me just say this: people, in general, will tell you that they want honesty. They will tell you to always speak your mind, that they appreciate that. But, in all actuality.. when you do? ... They get offended or get their little feelings hurt. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. And, in this case? You just have to roll with the punches. I think the biggest problem is that most people give their honest opinion, then when they see that they have stepped on toes, they seclude back into a shell of "what people want to hear." If you're gonna be honest?.. You have to be consistent. I'm honest. Sorry if it hurts your feelings. If you stick around long enough, you will see that it pretty much goes both ways with me. I know that the truth hurts.. so I try to make the rest of the time worth it.

Which brings me to my next point. ...

I believe in telling people when they have done good or when they cross your mind. I don't hold back. I get into many difficult situations because of this as well, because not everyone can separate a compliment from "I want to be your best buddy and share everything with you"..or if it's a male "I want to sleep with you." It's the bitter truth. So many people make it hard to just be genuinely friendly these days. They can't take a compliment or a good boost of positive praise for what it's worth. I don't want to be your best bud. I don't want to sleep with you. I just noticed that you did something awesome there, and I want you to know that someone noticed it. I want to tell you that you made my day by smiling at me. I want to tell you that I was in the shower the other day, and you randomly popped in my head. I want you to know that someone is proud of you for standing up for someone else. I want you to know that you make my day better just by being YOU. And, I want you to know how important it is to me that someone is genuine and caring in this day and age. No strings attached. No ulterior motives. I just want you to know that I appreciate what you did. I want you to know that you're on someones mind.

There are so many qualities to me. Not all of them are good. But I do have my moments. The main thing is...I'm me. I will do what I can for you if I know that you will appreciate it. I will tell you what's on my mind. But I also expect you to take the good with the bad. It's the way I am. I have a strong sense of family values and I know that they are the only ones that I should concern myself with. They will be here when everyone else goes home. My family will ALWAYS be there. So, if I hurt your feelings and you can't get over it and move on... if you can't be an adult about certain situations and realize that we are all human and that we all make mistakes; then move on. Everyone wants a circle of friends. Everyone wants to be special to someone for one reason or the other... but the people who are still with me after all these years are the ones who know me and have chosen to accept me for what and who I am. They know to look over certain qualities I have, because at some point, I will redeem myself.

That's me. Auntie in a nutshell. And if you live in a nutshell, then you're probably a.... ????...

2 comments:

  1. I accept you! :-) You are so correct though. Everybody wants the truth and nothing but the truth, except when you tell them the truth and they don't agree. I find myself often using "selected truth" on people, just depends on the situation and the person. Not a lie, just not all of the truth.

    ReplyDelete