more Quotes

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Attitude

So, I know I've been slacking on my blogging lately. But, I don't feel the need to write every single day. I write when it hits me. Kinda like a boomerang. A big, speeding, boomerang.

Today, I've had a few things that have crossed my path. I have a few people in my life that are dealing with things; they are not particularly struggling, but they are definitely looking for guidance in one way or the other. So, at lunch I was thinking..

If life is, indeed what we make it.. then why do things (that ultimately don't matter) affect us to the point of creating a disturbance in our regular life cycle? Lose sleep, eat differently, change our daily regimen, snap at people around us because we are stressed.. What do those things profit us? None of those things make a difference in the outcome of the situation we are dealing with. All we can do is play on the one string we have. .. that's our Attitude. 

"I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and
90 percent how I react to it.
And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes."
-Charles Swindoll

Attitude gets a bad rep. When someone hears the term "attitude" they automatically think of a negative reaction. "She's got a bad attitude" , "I sure wish he would change his attitude" , "Your attitude STINKS"

Webster's Dictionary defines attitude as:
a mental position with regard to a fact or state.

It is up to us how as to how we allow our attitude to define us. Negative thoughts and words get the most attention. We never hesitate to complain about a bad day. We want people to KNOW when life has peed in our Cheerios.

How many times do you hear someone say something GREAT has happened to them!? Usually when something great has actually happened... yeah, I know. But what about the greatness in the fact that you woke up with another day to live? The greatness of having people that love you or being able to go to work. Where are the words and praises when we haven't had a bad day? Maybe it's not GREAT.. but it's better than most.

I think I am going to make a point to express to someone on a daily basis, how my day has been. If it's bad.. then it's bad.. but if it's just a normal day?.. That's GREAT! I challenge you to keep a mental note (or a physical calendar for those of you that need proof) of your daily life. Do it for two weeks. Everyday.. put a plus or a minus. At the end of those two weeks, see how you stack up.

If you have more pluses than minuses? Then your attitude should be a constant reminder to people that you are happy.
If you have more minuses than pluses? Then, praise God for the pluses and see if there's something you can do to change that pattern..
If you have all minuses and not a single plus?  I'll pray for you.. and I have a number for a good doctor that you may want to see.


Hey. At least you're not this guy..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment